Re: [Texmacs-dev] Some considerations about export

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Some considerations about export
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 14:51:39 +0200

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:04:07AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> Possibly all these considerations
> are already known but ...
>
> Here I have published a small article
> realized with TeXmacs and in TeXmacs
> cool Documentation style:
>
> http://linuxdidattica.org/docs/cntm/prima.html
>
> The .html export has some little problems:
>
> 1. it skips Gnuplot graph (I added it manually);

Image export to HTML is a difficult problem and has not been addressed
yet.

The problems mostly have to do with the design of export filter system
and handling of pictures from within texmacs. That will probably not
change until Joris fixes the design.

> 2. Maxima output are not displayed
>    in TeX style.

Math export to HTML is a difficult problem and has not been addressed
yet. Here the difficulties mostly lie in HTML being intrinsically
unsuited to mathematics, MathML being quite messy, and all solutions not
involving MathML being excessively hackish and unsatisfactory at several
levels.

Eventually, texmacs will probably produce mixed xhtml/mathml document
and (at the user option) post-process it with a specialized mathml tool.

MathML export is a problem you can contribute to fix if you want to do
some scheme hacking. You need a good understanding of the texmacs
document model and MathML, some divination skills too to figure out what
are the intended semantics of some texmacs constructs and know how to
write programs in Scheme.

Some difficult parts are already done, like extensive mapping between
texmacs symbols and unicode symbols and internal generic XML/texmacs
conversion tools.

--
                                                            -- ddaa