Re: [Texmacs-dev] Win32 Experimental Version

From: Dan Martens
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Win32 Experimental Version
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:26:54 -0500

--

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:31:30
 Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

>Hi Dan,
>
>> I have put my latest *experimental* version of texmacs for windows on
>> my public server. You can find it at http://www.dannet.ca/texmacs.  The
>> archive is large as it contains both guile and tex for windows. To try
>> and keep the size of the download to a minimum, there is no source in
>> the archive.  To run this version, you must do the following.
>
>Great news; I will soon install windows somewhere especially for that :^)))
>Can I distribute the experimental version from the main TeXmacs site?
>That will improve the download time and permit more people to take a look.

You can distribute it anywhere you like, but please note that it is nowhere
near stable quality and still has many issues.  I am simply just displaying to
you what I have done so far, so I do not want to anger anyone when it crashes
on them. :)

It should also be noted that this version is guaranteed to work on Windows
2000/XP, as for earlier versions, it has not been tested and may not work.

Sorry about the download speed.  My ISP likes to cap my bandwidth.

>> 1) Go into the TEX directory and run the setup program to install TEX.
>> Install all packages.
>> 2) In the windows environment variable dialog, add the following.
>>   GUILE_LOAD_PATH=(root of texmacs distribution)
>>   TEX_HOME=(root of installed TEX distribution)
>>   TEXMACS_PATH=(root of texmacs distribution)
>>
>> The program texmacswin32.exe should now run.  If not, please let me know.
>>
>> This version is far from perfect.  There are numerous bugs and crashes,
>> please let me know of any found.   The biggest ones I know of are:
>>
>> 1) Scrolling fast causes strange painting of editor ontop of menus.
>> instead a <error | expand> or some other tag appears.
>
>Maybe a problem that the style file is not loaded?
I don't know where that problem is coming from, I was hoping maybe you would
have some insight into that as I did not really touch your code that much, so I
don't know it all too well.

>> 3) You cannot change drives in the load file dialog, this is due to Linux
>> based widgets.
>
>Did you manage to address the / -> \ problem?
Yes, the pathing works now.  However, the drive problem will only be solved by
making changes to the actual filechooser widget to encorporate a drive
selection drop-down or something like that.

>> 4) Attempting to print crashes program.
>
>And exporting a postscript file.
>
>> There are no doubt many other big ones.  I am slowly plugging away at
>> them when I have time, hopefully one day it will be perfect.
>>
>> Any questions, you know where to find me.
>
>I am just about to finish the reorganization of Guile.
>After that I will start the reorganization of the GUI and
>system routines. I will take a look at your code and
>probably contact you in order to discuss some issues through.
>
>Best wishes and thanks again for this huge contribution,
>
>Joris

Last night I solved some issues to do with font compiling/loading with the
MikTex package.  This change is not reflected however in the version available
for download.

I am working on this as much as I can in my spare time right now.  I hope to
get this to beta stage soon, but it may take longer as I have quite a few other
demands on my time.

Dan