Re: [Texmacs-dev] Win32 Experimental Version

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Win32 Experimental Version
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:31:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Dan,

> I have put my latest *experimental* version of texmacs for windows on
> my public server. You can find it at http://www.dannet.ca/texmacs.  The
> archive is large as it contains both guile and tex for windows. To try
> and keep the size of the download to a minimum, there is no source in
> the archive.  To run this version, you must do the following.

Great news; I will soon install windows somewhere especially for that :^)))
Can I distribute the experimental version from the main TeXmacs site?
That will improve the download time and permit more people to take a look.

> 1) Go into the TEX directory and run the setup program to install TEX.
> Install all packages.
> 2) In the windows environment variable dialog, add the following.
>   GUILE_LOAD_PATH=(root of texmacs distribution)
>   TEX_HOME=(root of installed TEX distribution)
>   TEXMACS_PATH=(root of texmacs distribution)
>
> The program texmacswin32.exe should now run.  If not, please let me know.
>
> This version is far from perfect.  There are numerous bugs and crashes,
> please let me know of any found.   The biggest ones I know of are:
>
> 1) Scrolling fast causes strange painting of editor ontop of menus.
> instead a <error | expand> or some other tag appears.

Maybe a problem that the style file is not loaded?

> 3) You cannot change drives in the load file dialog, this is due to Linux
> based widgets.

Did you manage to address the / -> \ problem?

> 4) Attempting to print crashes program.

And exporting a postscript file.

> There are no doubt many other big ones.  I am slowly plugging away at
> them when I have time, hopefully one day it will be perfect.
>
> Any questions, you know where to find me.

I am just about to finish the reorganization of Guile.
After that I will start the reorganization of the GUI and
system routines. I will take a look at your code and
probably contact you in order to discuss some issues through.

Best wishes and thanks again for this huge contribution,

Joris