Re: [Texmacs-dev] Disastrous boot time for new versions

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Disastrous boot time for new versions
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:07:13 +0100 (MET)

> > Guile is not used by Sawfish; it uses it's own Lisp, found in "librep".
>
> Right, right - I guess my memory isn't what it once was.
>
> "I have a great mind, but it's very short." -- Albert Einstein
>

> > > If TeXmacs ends up depending on a Scheme implementation other than
> > > Guile, it will lose the automatic Guile support of major distributors.
> >
> > MzScheme is in Debian.  I bet there's an RPM out there someplace too (if
> > you can trust the random packager).  If not, it would not be too
> > difficult for a good programmer to create one, perhaps by using the
> > Debian package as a starting point.
>
> That's great - for Debian.  You raise a valid point though:  I'd much
> rather trust a Scheme RPM from texmacs.org rather than one from "the
> random packager".  But why should TeXmacs developers have to concentrate
> on making RPMs ?  I guess they might have to, if distributions happen to
> not be shipping the particular Scheme implementation.

In last resort, we may include the whole scheme implementation
in our sources, or statically link it with TeXmacs, as we already do.

Notice that, in the case of MzScheme, the license is OK : LGPL.

However, I am a bit tired of reorganizing Guile/Scheme stuff.
I think that I will not switch to another scheme implementation
in the near future. However, if there is a hacker around who
wants to write a port to another Scheme implementation,
then (s)he can count on my assistance. Almost everything is
well localized now in src/Guile.