Re: [Texmacs-dev] Disastrous boot time for new versions

From: Nix N. Nix
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Disastrous boot time for new versions
Date: 10 Mar 2003 07:54:24 -0700

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 23:19, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> Guile is not used by Sawfish; it uses it's own Lisp, found in "librep".

Right, right - I guess my memory isn't what it once was.

"I have a great mind, but it's very short." -- Albert Einstein

> > If TeXmacs ends up depending on a Scheme implementation other than
> > Guile, it will lose the automatic Guile support of major distributors.
>
> MzScheme is in Debian.  I bet there's an RPM out there someplace too (if
> you can trust the random packager).  If not, it would not be too
> difficult for a good programmer to create one, perhaps by using the
> Debian package as a starting point.

That's great - for Debian.  You raise a valid point though:  I'd much
rather trust a Scheme RPM from texmacs.org rather than one from "the
random packager".  But why should TeXmacs developers have to concentrate
on making RPMs ?  I guess they might have to, if distributions happen to
not be shipping the particular Scheme implementation.