Re: $(srcdir) in man pages and other targets

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: $(srcdir) in man pages and other targets
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:26:55 +0100

On 11/24/2012 01:07 PM, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:12:03PM +0100, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>>>
>> I believe that, if you distribute a file, creating in $(srcdir) might
>> actually be the correct choice ...  For more background, see:
>>
>>   <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10852>
>
> I didn't really found a clear explanation of that in this url, but it
> may be because I am dense ;).

Oops, that's because that bug is about generated *sources*, not
man pages or info pages.  The issues explored there are not really
relevant to the the present discussion.  Sorry for the confusion.

> However for the specific case of the man pages generated in Texinfo, I
> think that not doing them in srcdir is better.

This is quite reasonable.  The only issue with that is that FreeBSD make
will then try to regenerated the manpages unconditionally in VPATH builds,
even when building from distributed tarballs; see also the related issue:

  <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7884>

Not a big deal IMHO: you could just suggest to use GNU make for VPATH
builds (that is the safest bet regardless).

>>> It may not be wrong in every cases, for instance it seems to me that it
>>> makes sense to rebuild in $(srcdir) the Makefile fragments that are
>>> included by automake.
>>>
>> In that case, it is the *only* sane approach actually.  Automake (and
>> the other autotools, like aclocal and autoconf) are re-run by the
>> automatic remake rules present in automake-generated Makefiles only
>> from the srcdir (since they can only work from there), so any included
>> file that is in the builddir would not be found.
>
> Ok, that's also what I figured out.  Thanks.

Regards, and HTH,
  Stefano