up, nodeup, directions

From: Karl Berry
Subject: up, nodeup, directions
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 00:31:26 GMT

    7. For the 'Up' direction which is normally associated with
    sectioning command when there is no such direction, the node up
    direction is used (the up node directions is always associated with
    the 'NodeUp' direction).  Is it right (I guess this one is a bit
    tricky...)

Tricky enough that I simply don't understand from this description.  Can
you explain further, or show an example?  Sorry.