Re: [Synaptic-devel] constructive suggestion for the new UI

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] constructive suggestion for the new UI
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:23:35 +0200

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 12:57:43PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I find the thing where you click on what looks like a check box (green or
> not) and it brings up a menu to be confusing. I think it's inconsistant with
> how I expect that user interface element to work.
>
> What about making this be some other element? Some sort of drop-down thing,
> or, an element like this:
>
>   < installed >
>
> with the little arrows actually being clickable (and graphics not ascii),
> and rotating to "< to be added >" and "< to be removed >" (in different
> colors).

I like the idea to a certain extend (also I share the concern that it
will take too much space in the list). But we can't do it with the
current gtk as the GtkTreeView (the widget that displays the package
list) has no mean to display a combo box (or drop-down thing). This is
planed for Gtk 2.6 though.

thanks for your feedback,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ