Re: [Synaptic-devel] constructive suggestion for the new UI

From: sashko
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] constructive suggestion for the new UI
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 13:47:22 -0400

Matthew Miller said the following on 07/24/04 12:57:
I find the thing where you click on what looks like a check box (green or
not) and it brings up a menu to be confusing. I think it's inconsistant with
how I expect that user interface element to work.

What about making this be some other element? Some sort of drop-down thing,
or, an element like this:

  < installed >

with the little arrows actually being clickable (and graphics not ascii),
and rotating to "< to be added >" and "< to be removed >" (in different
colors).
it seems to me that thing you are offering will take too much space in the list. Means the column will be too wide stealing space from the useful columns (which user probably would like to see without scrolling). There were 3 separate button on the info panel before <no changes><remove><install/upgrade/downgrade>, but they took them off (for rhe reason I do not understand). :(