Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf and AIR

From: List_Subs
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf and AIR
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 17:23:25 +0200

> On Sun, 20 May 2012 07:53:27 -0500
> "Andrew Sinning" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Well, at present, as with the Apple stuff ( and apart from the Flash
> > Player plug-in itself obviously ), I personally don't have a single
> > thing Adobe on my little system.  Don't have a need or use for any
> > of their products.
>
> Am I correct in understanding that Hans is the manager of this
> project?  If so, shouldn't the project be managed by somebody who
> actually uses Adobe products?
>
> How would one go about adopting the project

Andrew,

With respect my friend, that's nil points for observance.  I humbly
suggest you skim the web site, documentation wiki,  Such a small amount
of effort would certainly enlighten you as to the SWFTools' project
originator, and maintainer(s).

Should you feel that this information is not obvious, then let me know.
I will make sure the wiki states it more clearly.

As far as I am aware, Hans is but a happy user of the swftools utility
suite.  Anyone is welcome to be a contributor, in whatever form that
should take, from mailing list comment, suggestions and assistance, to
code patches.  Such is the nature of an *Open Source* project.

Finally..

Choosing to not run proprietary software is my personal choice.  Since
Adobe publishes the file format specifications for both SWF and PDF
( see: http://wiki.swftools.org ), and there is such a plethora of
excellent software out there which maniplates those formats, including
SWFTools itself, why should anyone who 'manages' an Open Source project
need to run Adobe products?   Compatiblity should surely be with the
file formats, and not with proprietary software applications that also
maniplate them. This includes AIR.

Regards,

Chris.