Re: [Swftools-common] buggy pdf2sw conversion?

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] buggy pdf2sw conversion?
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:13:54 +0100

On 02/12/2011 12:29 PM, Chris wrote:
On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 08:55:28 +0100
Pablo Rodríguez<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 02/12/2011 12:10 AM, Chris wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:49:55 +0100 Pablo Rodríguez<address@hidden>   wrote:

But I'm afraid I miss something essential, because I don't get it.

Moi aussi. Not entirely.  I'm not sure it's a complete explanation, but
it seems to fit.

If frame displaying is cumulative, advancing frames should be slower
than going back to previous frames, because there is (one or more
frames) less to read. And this isn't the case.

It is eventually. Up to a certain point going forward and backward
*is* quite speedy, in both directions.  However, when there are large
number of prior pages to be rendered, the speed tails off dramatically,
no matter which direction one is going - especially true if there is
a lot of content to be rendered.  What is worse, repeated pressing of
the keys just seems to add to the confusion, and it can't keep up.

Thanks for your reply, Chris.

I'm not sure we are experiencing the same. Not that I went crazy, but you were able to run the original presentation without CPU loaded at 100%. I cannot guarantee my system behaves as yours.

Sorry, your explanation, although extremely clear, doesn't match what happens on my system. Frames go faster when forward than backwards.

I can advance from the first to the last slide in 10 seconds. I need 8 minutes to go from the last slide back to the first (which means, this is 48x slower). Slides at http://www.ousia.tk/slides-viewer.swf.

My best conjecture in frame display being cumulative and heavily slower when going back is the following:

Going to next slide has the required information from previous slides already processed and only processes the information from the new slide.

Going to previous slide rejects the already processed information from previous slides and it has to process the information from the previous slides.

With the analogy to reading: when you read a certain page from a book, you need to have read all previous to process it. Advancing pages doesn't actually re-read all previous pages, but it seems that going pages back does re-read all previous pages.

This is only a guess. But it is the only explanation that comes to my mind to understand why it takes 10 seconds to reach the last slide and 8 minutes to go back to the first one.

If this is as I described it, it might be a flaw in the Adobe Flash plug-in.

BTW, can my time mismatch (10 seconds from frame 1 to frame 317 vs. 8 minutes form frame 317 to frame 1) be reproduced on other systems?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk