Re: [Swftools-common] Swftools, PDF and HTML5

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Swftools, PDF and HTML5
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 19:41:59 -0700

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 12:44:57PM +0200, filip sound <address@hidden> wrote:
> Matthias, i can't believe all this...
> are you serious? you want the browser to render complex
> graphics/shapes/gradients and texts (pdf) all in html?

Well, what Scribd currently does is text and bitmaps.
Vector shapes (gradients etc.) are in my queue, problem is that cross-browser
compatibilty of SVG, Canvas etc. is much worse than that of custom

> the performance will
> not be anything near the performance you get when running it on a plugin
> that has full access to the cpu.

Why? The browser has full access to the CPU, too, after all.
Also, Javascript engines have gotten ridiculously fast.