Re: [Swarm-Support] Running troubles with a swarm-objc-based application

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Running troubles with a swarm-objc-based application on macosX
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:30:23 +1100

On 21/02/2008, at 4:18 AM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
Thomas Louail wrote:
You were right, it probably linked against the NexT runtime environment.
Btw, Scott Christley has done most of the work and on a pure-Apple Objective C port. Nima Talebi did further work on that last summer.
It's just sitting in CVS waiting for love.

Would I be right in thinking that is the apple_port branch?

Is there a statement anywhere of what is and is not done on that code?

I had understood that the GUI needing writing. Having done a bit of Cocoa now, I am tempted to have a go at a Cocoa GUI and ditch all the Tcl/Tk/BLT stuff. Although I do notice that after a seven month break George is now hacking the BLT code again. The last commit was yesterday.

On the other hand, there is no reason why the GUI should not be different on different platforms like it is in R. Much of the stuff which is laboriously coded using Tk in BLT comes for free with Cocoa. ??could we use KVO for the probes??

I think love is time consuming.

Bill