[Swarm-Support] Something New.. ?

From: Simon Bland
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Something New.. ?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:39:07 +1000

Hiyas,

Not sure if this is more appropriate for the support or modeling lists, but thought I'd try here first as it's slightly more technically oriented (for now).

I'm a Computer Science student at the University of Wollongong (Australia), and I'm looking at doing an honours project that (at this stage) would be based on creating a module for Swarm.

The project is basically to create an environment for doing simulations using agents that are already created and don't meet any real standard or specification, and aren't required to be related in their implementation (except in that they use standard I/O in the *NIX sense for control/output).

What I'm currently looking at doing is to create a Swarm module that would act as an interpretation layer between a legacy agent and Swarm's agent API.

I've taken a look around the SwarmWiki, and can't find anything that would suggest this area has already been explored, and from what I can tell there aren't any existing environments that provide an interface for legacy agents. Is anyone aware of anything that does operate in such a way?

Do people feel that Swarm would be an appropriate system to develop a legacy agent module for? If not, do you know of a system that would be more appropriate to the task?

Any and all comments and feedback appreciated.

Regards,
Simon Bland.