[Swarm-Support] pretest 9 / Sun JDK

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: [Swarm-Support] pretest 9 / Sun JDK
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:08:30 -0600

Hi all,

Swarm is working with Sun JDK again.

The problem was with Tcl. Tcl does a stack probe to ensure that recursive calls can be completed, but this stack probe causes problems in the JVM environment. So I disabled the probe, and put a variant Tcl DLL in /Swarm-2.2/bin to override the Cygwin version. The previous problem of Cygwin laying down shared memory space for its bookkeeping no longer causes problems with Sun JDK 1.4.2. So, rather than adding a feature to Cygwin to make it the virtual memory address of that area configurable, or changing the value, I will simply say that if you want to use Swarm and Java under Windows, use the latest version of Sun JDK (1.4.2). In my limited testing, 1.4.2 and pretest 9 are working reliabily together.

The new pretest at ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/latest/Swarm-2.2-pretest-9.tar.gz.

Before using this pretest, run the Cygwin setup program and update your Cygwin DLL and anything else the installer suggests. You don't need `experimental' versions of the Cygwin stuff or anything like that. If you had a Cygwin install that worked with earlier Swarm pretest (e.g. you were using it for Objective C only), simply have it grab the standard updates. Cygwin developers are doing a mass upgrade of packages lately to accomodate new 64 bit file access features in the Cygwin. I realize that this isn't yet advertised on the Cygwin website, but it's true.

Finally, this pretest doesn't have a working Kaffe (standalone free Java JVM). I will probably withdraw Kaffe support from the next release because 1) it doesn't work with Cygwin (and I don't have time to fix it), and 2) most Java folks find Kaffe weird anyway and prefer to use commercial development tools. For folks that want freely redistributable Java support, there will be gcj. I noticed that gcj broke with my last round of Cygwin/GCC upgrades, but it probably just requires a rebuild of libgcj (something that takes about all day). So, if you want GCJ support use pretest 8. If you want Sun JDK support, use pretest 9. If you want both, lend a hand. :-)