Re: [Swarm-Support] new swarm-2.1.147.20030812 snapshot rpm available

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] new swarm-2.1.147.20030812 snapshot rpm available
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:39:58 -0600

Bill Northcott wrote:

Amazing how much smaller swarm-static is with the --enable-onelib turned
on. It drops from 1.1M to 23k.  Do you think that is a mistake somehow,
or real?

All my MacOS X builds are done with --disable-static because static libraries are deprecated to the point of hostility on the system. So I have no idea whether --onelib works to build a static library, but I don't immediatelly see why it should not.

Unless you go out of your way, libtool links shared objects but just names static objects comprising a collection. That means that a combined archive will be small in the static case because it just a list of names. I could see the the swarm-static package might be small if you only included the one library, and really the others were not included because, say, they were not `installed' archives (on the assumption that there was just the `onelib').