Re: [Swarm-Support] memory problems

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] memory problems
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 10:26:53 -0500

THanks very much for pointing me at this problem. As I expected, it is a memory leak related to probe creation, and I'm going to keep trying to understand why it happens.

pj

Marcello wrote:

Thanks a lot for the reply. Following Paul's suggestion, I wrote a
method to make the computations I needed on the agents, so I do not need
EZDistribution anymore.
In case someone might be interested in debugging the memory leak, I have
done some experiments with EZDistribution (and EZBin as well), and the
problem does not seem to be related with dropping the object: I found
that there is a huge memory usage increase even when only *one*
EZDistribution is created, and each agent only updates it.
Specifically, I create a single instance of EZDistribution in
SwarmModel, which can be accessed by each agent via a method call. Now each agent calls the collection upon which EZDistribution operates,
the agent cleans up the collection and add new agents, updates the
distribution and forget about it. Even in this case, I can get my
program using up to 300mg in a little while.

CODE
in Swarm model (- buildObjects )

 somePeople=[List create: [self getZone]];

 somePeopleTab=[EZBin createBegin: [self getZone]];
 [somePeopleTab setTitle: "stats"];
 [somePeopleTab setGraphics:0];
 [somePeopleTab setBinCount: 5];
 [somePeopleTab setLowerBound: 0];
 [somePeopleTab setUpperBound: 5];
 [somePeopleTab setCollection: somePeople ];
 [somePeopleTab setProbedSelector: M(getTypology) ];
 [somePeopleTab createEnd];

//// other code

- getSomePeople {

return somePeople;
}

- getSomePeopleTab {

return somePeopleTab;
}

(In Agent.m)

 id observed;
 id group;

   group=[model getSomePeople];
   [group removeAll];

  //this fill up "group"
 for (i=0; i<10;i++) {
while ([group contains: (observed = [self look])] ) ; [group addLast:observed];
}
 [[model getSomePeopleTab] update]; //if I remove this, no memory
problem occurs. With this line, the program grows (very roughly) about
1mg for each thousand calls .

// other unrelated stuff

Thanks again
marcello