Re: [Swarm-Support] memory problems

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] memory problems
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:35:31 -0500

I agree that the drop on the EZDistribution object should give all the memory back, but I don't think most people have tried to use that class in this way and so, if there is a memory leak, we have not been alerted to it yet. I found a memory leak, which I still have not solved, in a method that used probes to retrieve double-valued variables, and if you are doing that, I expect you could see the same issue.

I think that you should redesign your class so that each agent only creates one EZDistribution as an instance variable and then use it over and over. There is no need to create and drop at every time.

The other (better!) possibility is you should find a better way to collect the information you want. For example, are you just trying to get a tabulation of how many agents there are in each group? If so, consider using a method like (off the top of my head, excuse typos)

suppose there is an instance variable

int tabulator[6]; //need 6 because your example shows values from 0 to 5
                  //not 5 binCount as you have;

and somewhere you initialize that to 0's

Then call a method that does the tabulation. This will be much faster than creating a big old EZDistribution.

- tabulateDistribution
{
   id index = [group begin];
   id anObject;

for (anObject=[index next]; [index getLoc == Member]; anObject=[index next])
       {
         int agentValue = [anObject getTypology];
         tabulator[agentValue]++;

Or, if you just want to calculate an average or standard deviation, you can do that more easily with EZGraph, I can show you how if you need.

Sorry, gotta run to a meeting.

Here's my old email about the problem:

One of the guys who ran the Artificial Stock Market for a long long time said it grew from 6meg of RAM to 300meg. I said you are crazy, but he was right.

After trying every thing I know (dmalloc, etc), I could not find a leak in ASM-2.2.1, but I have a strong hint that it is in Swarm itself.

Here is the source code.where you can see all this for yourself:
http://artstkmkt.sourceforge.net/updates/ASM-2.2.1.tar.gz

There are some functions that I've used to get parameters. Here they are, from BFParams.m:

id
makeProbe (id obj, const char *ivarName)
{
  id probe = [VarProbe createBegin: [obj getZone]];
  [probe setProbedClass: [obj getClass]];
  [probe setProbedVariable: ivarName];
  return [probe createEnd];
}

double
getDouble (id obj, const char *ivarName)
{
  id probe = makeProbe (obj, ivarName);
  double ret = [probe probeAsDouble: obj];
  [probe drop];
  return ret;
}

int
getInt (id obj, const char *ivarName)
{
  id probe = makeProbe (obj, ivarName);
  int ret = [probe probeAsInt: obj];
  [probe drop];
  return ret;
}

There are many usages of getInt() and in BFagent.m, I had 2 usages of the getDouble().

After experimentation, I found the memory leak is caused by the use of getDouble(), but not getInt().

You can check for yourself. In BFagent.m, change

 divisor = getDouble(privateParams,"lambda")*forecastvar;