RE: [Swarm-Support] memory problems

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: RE: [Swarm-Support] memory problems
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:49:34 +0100

Yes, we have also found that instances of Swarm classes do not always
give everything back when you drop them- at one time Marcus provided an
explanation. Another person to explain it and the work-around we use is
Steve Jackson, but he's on vacation. I vaguely recall it might have
something to do with the zone you put an object in still retains some
information after you drop the object.

I agree with Paul that the obvious solution is to not drop the
EZDistribution- just repeat the [a update] statement each time step.

If you do not unnecessarily create and drop too much stuff, this memory
issue should never be a problem. (But always be careful you clean up
sufficiently when re-using an object.) However, if you have a big model
that runs for a long time, or you use an experiment manager to run the
model many times at once, you can have problems. But they can be solved
with a little more sophisticated memory management (using a class
"ZoneAllocMapper" which is on our software page at
http://math.humboldt.edu/EcoModeling - I can't explain it but Steve J.
can...so if anyone is interested, post another question next week when
he's back.

Steve Railsback