Re: Osx version - Status - simpleobjcBug runs fine

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: Osx version - Status - simpleobjcBug runs fine
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 07:33:06 +1000

Perrone Alessandro <address@hidden> wrote on 15/12/2002 11:32:41 PM:
> The configure runs fine without changes.
> I typed ./configure --prefix=/swarm --disable-shared --without-jdkdir
> and everything worked fine.
> I have also tried the
> ./configure --prefix=/swarm --disable-shared --without-jdkdir
> --with-ffcalldir=/swarm
> and it works too.

Thanks for the information.

There are a number of things which I am doing differently:
1. I am using the CVS code which means I need to run autogen.sh to
generate the configure scripts.  This needs mods to the script and the m4
files it invokes.
2. I am using shared libraries.  Apple makes it very clear in the
developer docs that MacOS X is a shared library system.  They frequently
update basic components in the software stack via the automatic update
mechanism.  These updates would break statically linked libraries and
anything compiled against them.  The alternative is to ignore updates, but
I am not into that.
3. I am trying to use Java.
4. I am using an Apple compiler.

> I don't think Swarm runs with tcl/tk 8.4

The obstacle was that BLT did not understand 8.4. That was fixed in 2.4z.
Tcl/Tk 8.4 builds shared libs on OS X without mods.  I posted the fixes
last week to get BLT to build shared libs against these.

One last question:
Are you using the -fgnu-runtime flag or did you build the compiler that
way?

Keep up the good work.  You are finding holes in the code and that will
benefit everybody.

Is it OK if I post your story on the Savannah site?

Regards
Bill Northcott