Re: Need help installing swarm 2.0.1

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: Need help installing swarm 2.0.1
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:58:07 -0500

address@hidden wrote:

> Like a fool, I decided without any real reason to upgrade my working
> swarm 1.4.1 distribution to swarm 2.0.1.  After spending several hours
> not getting things to work, I'm asking for help.
>
> Here's my current state of affairs:
>
> 1. I downloaded and installed the following RPMS from
>    ftp://ftp.varesearch.com/pub/support/hjl/gcc/gcc-2.95.1/
>
>    cpp-2.95.1-0.3.i386.rpm
>    gcc-2.95.1-0.3.i386.rpm
>    gcc-c++-2.95.1-0.3.i386.rpm
>    gcc-objc-2.95.1-0.3.i386.rpm
>    libstdc++-2.10.0-0.3.i386.rpm
>
>    Since gcc-2.95 wants the newest version of binutils, I went to
>    ftp://ftp.varesearch.com/pub/support/hjl/binutils, downloaded,
>    and installed
>
>    binutils-2.9.5.0.13-1.i386.rpm
Those should be OK.  I don't get a full install of the gcc-java package,
but as you note, you don't need it.

> 2. I mosied over to ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/redhat/RPMS/i386
>    and grabbed the following RPMS:
>
>    swarm-hdf5-2.0.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
>    swarmdemos-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
>    hdf5-1.2.0-1rh6.i386.rpm
>
>    since I don't plan to do any java work right now.
You could try the hdf5 rpm on my site, since I know it works and I can't
say one or the other about that one at sfi.

> 3. I tried to install these three files.  As you can see,
>    swarm-hdf5 refuses to install because it needs egcs-objc:
>
> address@hidden dl]# rpm -ivh hdf5-1.2.0-1rh6.i386.rpm
> hdf5                        ##################################################
> address@hidden dl]# rpm -ivh swarm-hdf5-2.0.1-1.rh6.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         egcs-objc is needed by swarm-hdf5-2.0.1-1.rh6
> address@hidden dl]# rpm -ivh swarmdemos-2.0.1-1.i386.rpm
> swarmdemos                  ##################################################
>
>    Isn't egcs-objc now _outdated_, given that egcs and gcc have merged?
>    Shouldn't installing gcc-objc-2.95.1 do the same thing?

If you have removed egcs and installed the gcc rpms, then you should
just tell the rpm install of swarm --nodeps after it says the last thing
you need is egcs-objc.

We left the "requires: egcs-objc" in there because we need to remind
people they must have the objective-c compiler and in RH6 that is
egcs-objc.  I checked and could find no way in RPM to use an "or"
requirement, something like requires: egcs-objc or gcc-objc would have
been nice.

> 4. Since the swarmdemos seemed to install fine, I thought I would test
>    one:
>
> address@hidden dl]$ heatbugs
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
SO you could build heatbugs but get a core dump?  I don't understand
how, unless you did something with the rpm that you did not tell us
before.  Please consider removing old swarm rpms before you install the
new.

Anyway, to run it under gdb, you need to do this

$ gdb .libs/heatbugs

and then tell it to run
and when it crashes get the backtrace by typing "bt".

Just yesterday I got a lot of those segfaults from the swarm rpm and I
never did figure out the cause. I uninstalled gcc and installed it again
and they stopped happening.