Re: Robustness Check and "A growing body of ad-hoc analysis solutions"

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: Robustness Check and "A growing body of ad-hoc analysis solutions"
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:36:26 -0400 (EDT)

well, being someone who instigated the creation of drone,
I of course support its approach to running simulation experiments,
i.e, do that outside of the simulation system itself, since
much of its functionality can be useful across a broad range
of computational modeling and experimentation.

regarding using drone with swarm, as paul says its pretty easy
to do, and you don't need the UM-ExpTools setup to do it.

re the UM-ExpTools:
They are NOT specialized to any particular simulation.
They ARE a hacky, prototype implementation that provides what
I think is a set of generally useful capabilities.

As usual, because they do what I need them to do, for me
and students, and because i can teach students how to use
them in a class or two, I've just not been motivated
to re-implement the general functionality in light of all
the changes to swarm since they were first written
(ie in pre swarm-1 days!) and in light of our experiments with them.

I'd love to see someone re-implement some class that
provides this kind of functionality:
 - processing of command line arguments, in GUI or Batch mode.
 - processing of parameters from an input-file
 - a pre-built set of parameters, including a RNG seed, report file
      name, output directory, inputfile, and run number.
 - easy way to add new parameters, e.g., just adding some
    simeple table entries that specify name, alias, type, etc.
 - automatic writing of parameters to the head of the report file (or
       other user opened files) in a format ready
       for re-reading, so that runs can be replicated.
 - utility macros and methods for RNG access, parameter access, etc.
 - hooks and helpers to write changes made via a probe into a
     parameter list into the report file
     (eg to help record what happened in a GUI-controled run)
and two or three other useful things I can't think of right now,
(or maybe have never thought of!).

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html