Re: Robustness Check

From: donalson
Subject: Re: Robustness Check
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 12:04:29 -0700

I have done a lot of this type of analysis.  Number 3 is a good palce to
start.  You can also use something like S-Plus to better automate some of the
analysis.  I strongly suggest that you save as much information as possible,
the worst that can happen is that eventually you delete some of the files and
it is really a pain if you find something interesting and have to rerun all
the data because you are missing a key piece of information.  When I have
REALLY large amounts of data, I dump it to writable CD ROM's.  I have also
found that sometimes it is really helpful to take advantage of Swarms display
capabilities and to write a simple swarm based program that can read parts of
the data files and play them back real time.  You can use this to manipulate
the data as well.  When I have REALLY large amounts of data, I dump it to
writable CD ROM's.  Bottom line, there is nothing like getting down and dirty
with your data set to begin to understand whether your sim working and what is
causing what.

Have fun!?

Cheers,

   D3

Alessandra Cassar wrote:

> Hi all,
> I need to find an efficient way to check that my results (for a
> computational model using Swarm) are robust.
> I have an idea, but seems really inefficient:
> 1 Create a file with 100 random seeds to feed the random number generator
> 2 Run Swarm creating these 100 datasets (with 12 series of 400 timesteps)
> 3 MANUALLY work them in excell and create AVERAGES AND STANDARD DEVIATIONS
>
> There must be an easier way to do it. Is there anyone that has already
> done this kind of robustness check?
>
> Thank you very much
> Alessandra

* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*