Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)

From: Matt Aylward
Subject: Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:31:34 +0800

Catherine Dibble wrote:

> ----clipped
> Matt, I'm glad to hear this news re GRASS 5.0, as I have a copy sitting
> here waiting for its turn later this summer.

The Linux binary distribution worked perfectly `out of the box' so I haven't
bothered to try compiling it (yet). 5.0 seems much smoother than 4.2 though I
haven't worked it very hard yet. I have a seagrass mapping project comming up
which will work it VERY hard though.

> ----clipped
>
> Matt, your objc directory was included by default under egcs in 6.0?  Or
> did it only appear there after you had recompiled egcs?  There is nothing
> there for objc at all in my 6.1 default installation.
>
> I have the same paths too, up *to* the objc -- but nothing whatsoever
> wrt objc <sigh>.

I did new compilation and install of egcs into /usr/local so it must have been
through the SuSE RPM for libobjc.
This stuff is in my notes, but i have been wrong before.  I will be home in a
few
hours (3 or 4) where I am doing all the SuSE 6.1 preparation (it doesn't matter
so
much if I trash my home box). I will check all these details properly and let
you
know as soon as I get home. (I had forgotten that I just bought a new modem so I
am online at home again).

On another subject, if you do any mapping from aerial photos or satelite images
involving image classification and vectorizing images. Check out :
http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~steve/susan/index.html
`SUSAN' -- A very elegant image processing tool that does some incredible
edge/corner detection and noise reduction things. The simple algorithm is very
clever.  I have been testing it today, and the results are excellent.

Cheers,
Matt

--
Matt Aylward:  or
         Linux Lover - OS for the people by the people.