hash tables in objects, or creating variables on the fly

From: Dr. Paul Box
Subject: hash tables in objects, or creating variables on the fly
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:12:09 -0700

Hello group

I have been working on a problem where I would like to have an object create
variables "on the fly", much like is possible in perl.  One possible solution
suggested to my by a NeXT-Step programmer is that this could be done using hash
tables.

In my Objective-C reference book, there is a brief (one sentance) mention of a
HashTable object in NeXT's Objective-C, but nothing else.  In the online
manuals, I get into a loop when I click onto the entry describing "internal
hash
tables" (it simply kicks me back to the table of contents).

My question has two parts:

1- Has anyone on this group worked with hash tables in their objects?  could
you
point me to infomration on what they are and how to use them?

2- Is there another way in swarm to give an object a new state variable at
runtime (ie, without editing the source code and recompiling things?)  I have
been thinking about ways of fudging this using strings or linked lists, but
they
seem slow and awkward.

Any ideas would be appreciated