2 mysterious bugs

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: 2 mysterious bugs
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 18:35:26 -0700

While I have the floor (so to speak) (did everyone else go on vacation?),
I'd like to ask
if anyone else has seen the following two error conditions:

(a) The following error message aborts heatbugs, market, and mousetrap (0229
versions):
address@hidden heatbugs]# ./heatbugs
heatbugs: bltGrAxis.c:1724: LayoutAxis: Assertion `labels <=
axisPtr->numLabels' failed.
IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)
address@hidden heatbugs]#
If you have seen this before and know the cause, please let me know.
This happens on one Redhat 3.03 system I use, but not on the other. They are
virtually
identical; the only diff I can think of is that on the system that exhibits
this problem I
have built a couple of custom kernels (1.2.13).
(I wouldn't bother anyone with this, given that those 3 apps have been
supplied in the
0513 release, but I figure if this is a real bug it might come back and bite
me again ...)

(b) The following error message in Heatbugs only, as the program is starting up:
(from memory)"Event raised: insufficient resources: cannot allocate color
xx, substituting white".
This repeats numerous times, and the resulting bug display is indeed full of
white cells.
This happens once in a while on either system. Is this a question of
insufficient RAM? My two
systems have 16M and 20M respectively (with 64+M swap space). Or is it a
program glitch?

( I can't help but wish that unix was a little less "non-linear" and
"emergent"  . . .)

I'd greatly appreciate any clues you might have!

Sven Thommesen
UCLA Center for Computable Economics
Auburn University School of Human Sciences