swarm-modeling

Re: Basic References on ABM validation/verification

From: M Lang / S Railsback
Subject: Re: Basic References on ABM validation/verification
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 07:49:08 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> I hope this is not a redundant request.  I am trying to get a paper on ABM
> accepted into a medical journal, and in the first cycle of revisions they are
> asking for some references regarding interpretation of results from the ABM.
> I recall a thread on this list about 6-8

Hi Gary,

Its exciting to hear that you're trying to get ABMs into medical
journals!

One reference that may be useful is this book:

Auyang, S. Y., 1998. Foundations of Complex-system Theories in
Economics, Evolutionary Biology, and Statistical Physics. Cambridge
University Press.

It is the only thorough presentation I am aware of, of general methods
for understanding systems as complex systems. It includes approaches for
understanding links between traits of individuals and the emergent
system dynamics, which is part of both testing and learning from ABMs.
It also has the advantage of being so dense that none of your reviewers
is likely to delve into it very far.

It does NOT include a how-to on agent-based modeling. One of the themes
of our Ecological Society symposium next week is that (in ecology,
anyway) there is no such how-to, so far.

Steve
--
address@hidden
Lang, Railsback & Assoc.