swarm-modeling

Re: Basic References on ABM validation/verification

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: Basic References on ABM validation/verification
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 21:19:18 -0700

Here are two potential references:

Bart, J. 1995.  Acceptance criteria for using individual based models for
management decisions.  Ecological Applications 5:411-420.

Rykiel, E.J., 1996. Testing ecological models: the meaning of validation.
Ecological Modelling. 90, 229-244.

In general, I use two terms: "verification" for demonstrating the the model
is (relativly) bug free, and "validation" for comparing the model results to
some external data of mechanism.  For the two terms combined I tend to use
"black magic" [grin].  Unfortunatly, the reality of validation is that it as
complex as the systems we study.  Best of luck!

Cheers,

   D4