swarm-gis

Re: Swarm and GIS libraries

From: James Macgill
Subject: Re: Swarm and GIS libraries
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:14:06 +0000

At 06:18 PM 1/22/98 -0700, Paul Box wrote:
<snip>

>> You are right - this is a quite fundamental distinction between the
>> GIS and Swarm way of "looking at the world" - is there a way of
>> reconciling the two? Any ideas folks have out there?
>>
>I figure that modeling the landscape from the pixel up is the best way to do
>this.  I especially look forward to discussing this with people who think
the
>idea is off the wall.  I hope that many beers will be downed over this
subject!

Not off the wall as such, it looks like a cool way of doing things, for the
right data sets.  But it looks a bit memory hungry when we start to deal with
coverages that are polygon based, or even noncontinuous point coverages.
Would each cell for example have to record the fact that it is NOT a tree?

Cheers
James (who really should get swarm installed :-)

--
James Macgill
Centre for Computational Geography

   Swarm-GIS is for discussion of Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
   and their integration or use with Swarm.  For list administration
   needs (esp. [un]subscribing), please send a message to
   <address@hidden> with "help" in the body of the message.