Re: [STUMP] Creating a FreeBSD StumpWM package

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Creating a FreeBSD StumpWM package
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 19:25:18 -0400

Hi Joseph,

Thanks so much for bundling this for FreeBSD.  I think its important that it be
available anywhere X11 is the principle way of managing windows.

The debate of dumping the sbcl world to a binary named sbcl vs loading the
source is roughly equivalent to the static vs dynamic linking debate. I come
down on the static side (which is what stumpwm builds to by default). Running
stumpwm via sbcl does the same thing, it just puts the compiled fasl files in
~/.cache/common-lisp/sbcl-*/ and then loads and recompiles them as needed.
Overall the memory footprint will be the same, but you split stumpwm as an
application from sbcl.

>From a user perspective (especially users unfamiliar with lisp) a binary named
stumpwm makes more sense than a stumpwm.lisp file that is loaded from a sbcl
runtime.

As far as hosting stumpwm.texi: that file is derived from the stumpwm sources
when it is built (in conjunction with stumpwm.texi.in).  Storing it in the repo
causes a few problems:
1. Users who want to extend the manual don't know which one to edit
2. When stumpwm is recompiled, the manual will drift from the sources if
   stumpwm.texi is not regenerated
3. If a user edits stumpwm.texi.in (see 1) their edits will get blown away when
   they rebuild the program.

For packaging purposes, you can run "make travis" to just build stumpwm (no
generation of the manual). Is it a burden to have sbcl when you package the
release?

As far as releases go: I need to get back to defining a set of features to aim
for a release. Its been a while so releasing a new version makes sense.

Sincerely,

David