Re: [STUMP] Creating a FreeBSD StumpWM package

From: Joseph Mingrone
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Creating a FreeBSD StumpWM package
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 23:47:32 -0300

Joseph Mingrone <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

> StuwmpWM used to have a FreeBSD package, but it became stale, then
> broken and was eventually removed from the FreeBSD ports tree.  It would
> be nice for FreeBSD users to be able to get stump up and running with a
> simple `pkg install stumpwm`, so I'm attempting to get the port/package
> working again.  I also notice there is no OpenBSD or pkgsrc package, so
> if this package succeeds it might be a helpful template for them.

> This is what works now.  It pulls in all the dependencies, builds and
> installs the executable, installs the lisp source and stumpwm.asd in the
> common lisp central registry.  The problem starts when stump is run.  It
> just starts sbcl and shows the repl with no errors.  Any suggestions for
> debugging?

> Nothing stands out (to me) in the build log.
> http://pkg.awarnach.mathstat.dal.ca/data/11amd64-default/2017-08-13_18h13m27s/logs/stumpwm-20170807.log

> Thanks for any insight,

> Joseph

This main problem has been solved and the package is mostly usable [1].
The executable was being installed with `install -s ...`, which strips
the executable.  Clearly that was doing something wrong because the size
of the stumpwm executable went from 55 MB to 233 KB.

Regards,

Joseph

[1] One issue is that the executable is referring to paths used during
the package building, that are not correct when it's installed on the
user's machine.  Hopefully I'll figure that one out.