Re: [STUMP] Use git describe in *version* when building from git

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Use git describe in *version* when building from git
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:23:29 -0800

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Ben Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 01:05:10PM +0100, Lionel Flandrin wrote:
>> By the way, it seems the git tags are outdated
>> (latest is 0.9.5 when the current version is 0.9.7).
>
> This still needs fixing, but I'm slightly confused about what tags to
> add and where.  The current released version is 0.9.6, so I think we
> just want to have a tag for that and have the git describe version be
> something like 0.9.6-145-gfc54e7a.  This is kinda confusing though
> because if you're not using git you'll get a version of 0.9.7-git.  So
> maybe we want to change that?

If you look at the makefile the release rule creates a tag but I have
to explicitely push tags with git push --tags. I forgot to push 0.9.6,
which I've done now.

The reason I chose the x.y.z-git format for the version was to show
that stumpwm was bult from the repository and not a tarball release
version. Now that we have the git hash appearing in the version
command output It would be nice to set the autoconf version to
"BLEEDING-EDGE" or something. Then there's no question what version
you're running. For releases the version should just be x.y.z. It
would be nice if somehow when building a release the version file
didn't check for a .git directory and instead just used the version
string to avoid possible weirdness but I dunno how feasible that is.

-Shawn