Dummy speechd-el output driver possibly for running speechd-el inside em

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: Dummy speechd-el output driver possibly for running speechd-el inside emacs on android
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2017 12:34:52 +0100 (CET)

Hi Peter,

From: Peter V?gner <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Dummy speechd-el output driver possibly for running speechd-el inside
emacs on android
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 21:15:57 +0100

> Hello,
>
> I know speechd-el is not in rapid development for a few years now however
> the more I use it the more I like what I can do with emacs.
> For a few months I'm playing with termux on android. It's possible to run a
> lot of linux apps on termux for android including emacs. It's even
> straightforward to install it without rooting or other tricks.
> There is also a way to make linux apps to play sound through libpulse
> running on termux and another app directly on the device.
> Given all this I would like to try getting speechd-el working with such a
> setup.
> So I do have emacs, I do have speechd-el, I do have espeak built against
> libpulse, however the glue between speechd-el and espeak is missing. I
> can't build speech-dispatcher on termux because android pthreads support is
> too limited for speech-dispatcher to build there.

  In fact it would probably be good to develop a
  speech-dispatcher version that can be compiled and run on
  android.

  Anyway I am certainly not in this mind for at least two
  reasons : First I do not have any system with android
  installed so no opportunity to make tests. Secondly I no
  longer use speech-dispatcher.

  In fact I developped a direct client from speechd-el to
  festival. Since festival do not have the scheduling features
  implemented by speech-dispatcher I had to implement a
  scheduler for festival what I did.

> Since speechd-el has an API that more output drivers can be running at the
> same time or even independently of each other I think it might be more
> viable than fighting pthreads on android  trying to create a kind of very
> simple output driver for speechd-el.
> I wish it to either interface directly with espeak running on termux or

  I is certainly possible but I never use espeak so do not
  really know what are its features. In particular is it easy
  to interrupt a speaking message with espeak, is it possible
  to queue the messages with given priorities. All such
  features are needed to implement the ssip protocol. That
  precisely the part that was badly supported by festival.

  Regards

  Pierre