Dummy speechd-el output driver possibly for running speechd-el inside em

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: Dummy speechd-el output driver possibly for running speechd-el inside emacs on android
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 10:08:36 +1100

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 07:15:57AM AEDT, Peter V?gner wrote:
> Given all this I would like to try getting speechd-el working with such a
> setup.
> So I do have emacs, I do have speechd-el, I do have espeak built against
> libpulse, however the glue between speechd-el and espeak is missing. I
> can't build speech-dispatcher on termux because android pthreads support is
> too limited for speech-dispatcher to build there.

My desire is to eventually have all of speech-dispatcher code use GLib's own
threads API, which afaikis usable on Android. In fact using as much GLib as
possible would allow uses of speech-dispatcher on other platforms, Android,
Mac OS, etc.

> Since speechd-el has an API that more output drivers can be running at the
> same time or even independently of each other I think it might be more
> viable than fighting pthreads on android  trying to create a kind of very
> simple output driver for speechd-el.

There is documentation for the SSIP protocol which is used over either a unix
socket or inet socket. The docs are in the speechd git tree. It would be a
matter of implementing code to parse and interract with that protocol and
wrap espeak or even Android's own TTS API.

Longer term though, I do think getting speech-dispatcher building more easily
on android may be a better solution, patches welcome of course.
--
Please check out my Patreon campaign and spread the word.
https://patreon.com/lukefoss