yet another rule to discuss

From: Hynek Hanke
Subject: yet another rule to discuss
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:09:42 +0200

On 25.9.2010 09:54, Andrei Kholodnyi wrote:
> we need a rule we should follow if there is no 100% agreement on the
> patch going to be pushed.

Hi Andrei,

according to the cooperation model we have, the reviewer
decides which code should go into the official repository.
In case the reviewer is not sure, or somebody complains
about his decision, or if reviewers disagree between
themselves, then the maintainer will decide.

We should however try to reach agreement inside the
development team whenever possible, because it is important
that people who participate in the project understand
and identify themselves with the reasons behind decisions.

Voting or decisions based on majority make no sense here.
They do not solve the underlying problems with disagreements
between developers and they are known to lead to bad technical
decisions.

On the other hand, I think it is totally OK to complain about
the decision of a reviewer and re-raise the question of whether
a given patch belongs to the tree or not, if somebody has technical
reasons for doing so. We should understand it just as a normal
part of the development process, not as something bad or harmful.

I think we can all agree on this?

Best regards,
Hynek