yet another rule to discuss

From: William Hubbs
Subject: yet another rule to discuss
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:43:08 -0500

Hi all,

I'm responding on list, because I feel like I need to give a brief
response here.

I hope this is the last response I have to post to this thread on the
list.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 12:46:21PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 07:34:00PM +0200, Andrei Kholodnyi wrote:
> > > I am not sure about that. ?Hynek was fine with my suggestion, and the
> > > only people I heard really protesting it were you and Halim, so it was
> > > not a majority of people, but a very vocal minority. ?There is something
> > > called the "silent majority" which wasn't being taken into
> > > consideration.
> >
> > I suppose the "silent majority" will raise now its hand supporting your
> > patch.
>
> Not necessarily, the "silent majority" doesn't care about what happens
> either way.

 I'm willing to drop this argument.

> > > Second, I'm not sure that this is list material or that a "rule" needs
> > > to be set up. ?I think this is just a misunderstanding that needed to be
> > > resolved between myself and Andrei.
> >
> > I'd like to know what should I do as a reviewer in this situation.
> > e.g. ask for a vote and then submit a patch with major votes.
> > drop both patches or something else.
>
> From the way I read the cooperation document, the final decision is for
> the reviewer to make, so, since you pushed Chris's patch, that is what
> we have.  Also, since it was better than what is there now, I would say
> it should be pushed.

Andrei, you did the right thing according to the cooperation document,
you made a decision and pushed a patch.  My issue is purely personal,
and I have written to you again privately about it.

Everyone else, sorry about the noise, I hope this thread can now die.

William