I can not run orca with speech-dispatcher

From: Steve Holmes
Subject: I can not run orca with speech-dispatcher
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 08:47:56 -0700

This may depend on how speech dispatcher is being started.  With all
this rage of session integration and all, that might be broken now.
There are several ways gnome is started too.  For me, I usually start
gnome and orca up with the 'startx' command inside a text console for
my normal user account.  speechd with its autospawn feature, causes
speech dispatcher to come up when orca starts and calls for it.  If
gdm is used for logging in, which is more common if your system is
configured to boot into gnome by default, you might have to build a
.speech-dispatcher in gdm's home directory; on my ArchLinux system,
that would /usr/lib/gdm.

The last time I tried to configure Orca inside the gdm login screen, I
lost speech entirely so whenever I use gdm to login, I just let Orca
use the default of gnome-speech.  I'm not sure how things would work
today if you started speech-dispatcher as a system service but that
seems to come under so much fire these days.