social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] My Facebook Problem - And Yours

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] My Facebook Problem - And Yours
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:03:42 -0400

On 04/25/2010 10:47 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Henry Litwhiler <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> We don't want this to become "StatusNet with modifications" - we want it
>> to have its own, unique codebase - not just a distributed SatusNet
>> implementation.
>
> Ok, that's clear, at least. I've heard others here say that, though
> I'm not sure who 'we' is yet.
>
> I would be much less worried if I were hearing stuff like "We want it
> to meet these documented requirements" (and a link to specs, designs
> etc.), rather than "above all, we want it to be our own stand-alone
> software project". There may be all kinds of good reasons for making a
> fresh clean start. For me, "we want our own project" isn't enough.
> Given GNU's pivotal role in the free software scene, I think there is
> much more influence to had by working on interop between diverse
> software systems.
>
>> I am
>> saying, however, that we would be better off writing our own, basic
>> StatusNet-style microblogging implementation that suits our needs. It
>> wouldn't have to be anything fancy, for the time being - it would just
>> have to be a way for testers to interface with the (arguably more
>> import, for now) underlying GNU Social protocol and backbone software.
>
> +1 on the protocols being more important.  But protocols, as much as
> software packages, need requirements and design. Are there any drafts
> kicking around that are ready for review?
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan

We have very little written down regarding the design of GNU Social,
partially because we haven't agreed on/figured out even some of the more
fundamental aspects of the design, and partially because we just haven't
gotten around to writing it down.

A few people got together at the FSF on the 21st of April, and put some
(very minimal) meeting notes up on the LibrePlanet wiki:
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social/2010-04-21 . We also have
some (contradictory) ideas written down here:
http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social/Ideas .

We should probably get around to having an organized, well-planned IRC
meeting at some point in the near future.

- --
Henry L.