social-discuss

Re: [Social-discuss] My Facebook Problem - And Yours

From: Story Henry
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] My Facebook Problem - And Yours
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:26:19 +0100

On 24 Apr 2010, at 21:54, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

> On 04/24/2010 01:23 PM, Story Henry wrote:
>> A good article, on the problem with centralised social networks.
>>
>> http://thefastertimes.com/mediaandtech/2010/04/22/my-facebook-problem-and-yours/
>>
>> Henry
>>
>> http://bblfish.net/
>>

> Nice article, indeed.
>
> One thing that is important for us to take from this article is the bit
> on verification and organization. We want to avoid creating a
> MySpace-like network where everything is chaotic and disorganized, and
> ascertaining the validity of any user's identity is rather difficult.

Yes, this is very good point. The best way to achieve this, in my opinions is
again to think of Linked Data. The HTML front end can be human readable, and
as such everyone can have their own visual persona on the web, which could be
somewhat awkward in some circumstances as people move from one web page to the
other. The MySpace effect.

But that is not at all incompatible with the possibility of everyone having
their
own client that gives a harmonious view over the subset of LinkedData that
interests
them. This is what the Address Book I wrote a few years ago does for foaf.

   https://sommer.dev.java.net/AddressBook.html

A lot of work can be done on that still. I did not pursue it because at the time
I felt that foaf+ssl was even more important to overcome the biggest resistance
to it.

Henry