Re: [Simulavr-devel] Is this project still alive?

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Is this project still alive?
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:32:31 +0200

Michael N. Moran schrieb:
Klaus Rudolph wrote:
All the open patches are not really out of problems, so I
could not patch them in with no side effects.

Klaus,

If you would like to enumerate and discuss the issues
that you see perhaps I could help you work through them.
I do not know about any objections that you might have.

As I have in mind, all the patches have some side effects as also noted in the database. For a first overview simply look in the patch database. I actually could spend to much time to go through the list myself, so it is only a backup of my mind which is not realy good enough for a deatiled technical discussion.

If I restart to work through the things, I have done the work myself :-)
So I am a bit in a gap of time to do the things myself or help you...
terrible, I know.

As allready discussed later, my strategie to become a more powerfull simulavrxx I (and this is realy only my wish) want to have all the hardware features from the avr family implemented in classes and set up all the known devises. But for this, we have no information whcih hardware components are really campatible (the same!) and which have small or big differences. All what I/we can do isdigging through all the datasheets. And yes, I have no fun for that. There are people from atmel on the list but we never get any information on this topic. I asked 1000 times for that task, but heared nothing. I can´t tell you why Atmel is not interested in a open source simulator. Maybe you can ask again!

All other thnigs, also having allready some patches is to enable special features in the "outside" world, like have python scripting or add ons for electrical simulations in "outside" programms. All these are nice things, but I (and this is also only my personal opinion) would only put these things to the mainline, if they will not have any side effects. One of the open patches will disturb my Pin/Port class in a way that my "normal" simulations will not run anymore, because the reflaction of the pin status comes from the "outside world" which is not what the actual design is made for. Maybe I have not understood the problem but it was not as important for me :-)

All the build problems are on the side of Bill. If he have time and fun, he will make a new release to fix the latest problems which comes to simulavrxx while the environment on typical distros change. simulavrxx depends on some tools like tcl/tk. So we have to keep track of the tools which costs a lot of time. Other tools make it much easier, they simply include all the needed stuff in the own project and have a constant build and a own "world view" in an absolutly insulated own world. But this is also not a thing I want.

Any ideas for that?

It makes no sense I personaly think to have a new AD
component which will not work as in the original
hardware.

I agree with you in principle, and it has been a while
since I have looked at that code, but as I recall it
*does* behave like the original hardware. Again, please
elaborate on specifics.

I just assumed that the project was dead or at least
in suspended animation. I know what it is like to run
out of time to work on these projects, especially if
they are not scratching a particular itch :-)

A very simple question :-)

which features are missing??
If we need the AD part of mega devices, we have to implement all the stuff: IO/selection, differential/single input selection, /gain control, ... not only one channel without any other functionality. That makes no sence for me. Noby could use it, because the target avr code has to set up the registers and having dummy registers is not a thing I want to have in the simulator.

we can start a list of whishes here. My one is to make mega128 complete, after that implement the usb stuff for 1286/7 parts. After that pwm devices.

Having that, we can elaborate the differences between the parts and start refactoring for the unique/different hardware ip´s . But without the atmel list this is a job for paper recyclers :-)

Whats your opinion?

bye
  Klaus