Re: [Simulavr-devel] Building for Windows

From: E . Weddington
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Building for Windows
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:36:08 GMT

> > I've been wondering about that actually. What's the best
> > way (or is there a way) to append flags to either
CFLAGS or
> > LDFLAGS for building? Should it go on the make line
instead?

> There's no easy answer for that.
>
> I think that the Makefile.am files could be modified to
allow
> you do something like this:
>
>   $ make EXTRA_CFLAGS="-DFOO=12"
>
> but then you are bypassing the configure mechanism. I
think that if
> you really need to specify more CFLAGS option at
configure time, them
> the configure.ac file is broken. Basically, ./configure
should always
> just work.
>
> Now, why exactly do you need to pass -static?

Because if you don't, you end up with one of the
executables linking to IIRC a ncurses.dll. Passing -static
causes the app to be statically linked against the ncurses
libs. I want to reduce the amount of dependencies on DLLs
in any Cygwin port.

The only way get rid of the dependencies on cygwin1.dll
(the POSIX layer) is to use Win32 API calls instead of
POSIX calls. IMHO, this should /eventually/ be one of the
goals of any port to Windows. But this will take a lot of
time to do.

BTW, passing LDFLAGS=-static in configure doesn't cause any
problems that I've seen.

There's the other possibility of rolling it into configure:
if cygwin then use -static. But then, what if someone
doesn't want to use -static? I suppose it could be a
configure option, but that puts more work on to you to add
this to configure. It's been much easier to just to add it
this way. Your call.

Eric