Re: [Simulavr-devel] Building for Windows

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Building for Windows
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:29:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, E.Weddington wrote:

> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, E. Weddington wrote:
> >
> > > Ted,
> > >
> > > With simulavr 0.1.1.20030915 this is how I build it for
> Windows.
> > >
> > > (Watch out for email wrapping on the bash commands.)
> > >
> > > I didn't see a "Building SimulAVR" section in the docs
> so it's up to you
> > > how you want to add this in.
> >
> > Committed as README.cygwin.
> >
> > My only conern is that you suggest setting CFLAGS=-static
> during
> > configure time. I wonder if this should really be passed
> as
> > LDFLAGS=-static instead.
>
> Good point. I just checked the manual and you're right it
> should be LDFLAGS=-static instead.
>

> > Another problem with passing CFLAGS is that you clobber
> any CFLAGS set
> > by configure that may be needed to compile on the build
> system. And,
> > you also end up passing your CFLAGS to any of the
> configure tests.
> >

> I've been wondering about that actually. What's the best
> way (or is there a way) to append flags to either CFLAGS or
> LDFLAGS for building? Should it go on the make line instead?

There's no easy answer for that.

I think that the Makefile.am files could be modified to allow
you do something like this:

  $ make EXTRA_CFLAGS="-DFOO=12"

but then you are bypassing the configure mechanism. I think that if
you really need to specify more CFLAGS option at configure time, them
the configure.ac file is broken. Basically, ./configure should always
just work.

Now, why exactly do you need to pass -static?

Ted Roth