scew-users

[scew-users] Re: help installing SCEW (can't find expat.h)

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: [scew-users] Re: help installing SCEW (can't find expat.h)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:46:52 +0200

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 18:22, Josh Wilkie <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Aleix,

Hi again,

> Ok, I added the CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and LDLIBS to my makefile for my app,

Great.

> but I now get this error:
>
> /usr/cr16-tools/lib/gcc/cr16-uclinux/4.1.2/../../../../cr16-uclinux/bin/ld.real:
>  skipping incompatible ../../xml/lib/libscew.a when searching for -lscew
> /usr/cr16-tools/lib/gcc/cr16-uclinux/4.1.2/../../../../cr16-uclinux/bin/ld.real:
>  cannot find -lscew
>
> it seems to think libscew.a is incompatible?

That's weird. Do you install the SCEW headers and library to some
directory? SCEW uses "libtool" to create the SCEW static and shared
library. If you do not install SCEW (make install), I think it is
necessary to use libtool in order to link your application (in a clean
way).

But, once you compile SCEW (via "make") you can install it via "make
install". This will install SCEW to /usr/local by default. As you do
not have root access, you could change this directory by specifying
--prefix in "./configure":

$ ./configure --prefix=/path/to/built/scew

Then you should be able to install SCEW (make install) to
/path/to/built/scew. In /path/to/built/scew/include/scew and
/path/to/built/scew/lib you should find the SCEW headers and libraries
respectively. These are the directories you need to specify in
CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

Could you please check what your current libscew.a content have? You
should be able to execute:

$ cr16-uclinux-nm libscew.a

Without doing these installation I propose, where is your libscew.a, located?

> Right, I do not have root access.  the CC I am using is cr16-uclinux-gcc.

OK.

Let's see if we can fix this.

Aleix