[Savannah-help-public] [sr #105528] Deal with encoding issues in log_acc

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #105528] Deal with encoding issues in log_accum
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 18:46:37 +0000

I took a look at the log_accum and svnmailer, and I agree that it is not
trivial at all to implement auto-guessing of the encoding; also this approach
is almost certainly doomed to fail (for example, the log message in
ISO-8859-15, one file in UTF-8 and another one in CP1251).

AFAIU svnmailer tries some fairly complex ways to determine the encoding,
including checking svn:mime-type, the files themselves, the log message etc.
It has a fallback mechanism and it's not 100% sure that the mail header will
be correct.  It just happens to work in most cases.

I suggest to do the following: If there is an easy way to check the body
(perhaps in `build_message_body'), try if it is only US-ASCII, then UTF-8 and
finally (if it is not valid), ISO-8859-1.  Alternatively, just add this header
(in the `send_mail' subroutine?) with UTF-8 hardcoded.  That's easy and won't
hurt much, I guess.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?105528>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/