[Savannah-hackers] Savannah and non-GNU software

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:11:40 +0100 (CET)

       If Savannah is to accept non-GNU software packages, here is a short
summary of how it could be done:

        - Each Savannah project has gnu (y/n) flag (I did that already,
          does not hurt).
        - The www page goes in www.gnu.org/non-gnu instead of
          www.gnu.org/software. To avoid confusion, this directory
          could be served by non-gnu.fsf.org or something like this.
        - The ftp repository could be ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu that already
          exists.
        - I'm not sure how easy it would be to separate the mailing lists
        - I'm not sure how easy it would be to separate the GNATs databases

       When implementing Savannah I tried to keep in mind that hosting
Free Software that is non GNU software was the ultimate goal. I do
realize, however, that hosting non GNU software will significantly
increase the system administration workload because the number of
projects will rapidly grow. Sure, Savannah does not require manual
operation and project maintainers are completely autonomous. But they
eat bandwidth, disk and cpu. At present the growth rate is N, if we
decide to host Free Software that is not GNU the growth rate will be
N*?.

       As far as Savannah + cvs is concerned, I'm ready to handle
the necessary workload, coordinate volunteers etc. But I'm not the only
one involved.

        Cheers,