Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] GNATS host?
Date: 11 Mar 2001 22:27:13 -0500

[I have added Milan Zamazal (GNATS maintainer) in the discussion.]

Gerald Pfeifer <address@hidden> writes:

> However, I am not the best person to do this job (both in terms of
> time and GNATS-related skills) ) and any kind of support in
> maintaining gnatsweb is highly welcome.

I heavily use GNATS and I started to use gnatsweb at my work too
(besides here at the GNU Project), so I will try to help as much as I
can (I just joined to bug-gnats).

> As a matter of fact, should (one) of you be interested in becoming
> gnatsweb co-maintainer, you're most welcome! :-)

Well, maybe not to that extent (due to time constraints), but we'll
see. :)

> > gnatsd needs to have a command added to it to provide details on the schema.
> > gnatsweb needs to be able to adjust it's display based on this information.
>
> My question, at this point, is: Does it make sense to enhance the official
> versions of GNATS and gnatsweb with these features?

I guess yes, maybe open a new branch for the next version, or however
you guys want to do it, but those features are a must.

> Given the lack of volunteers working on gnatsweb (and to a smaller
> degree on GNATS) I'd like to avoid a fork if possible in any way and
> rather see us collaborate on a common source base.

Definitely, we don't want to fork anything.

> How shall we proceed?

I would recommend to open a project in Savannah for gnatsweb, so
please open an account at:

http://savannah.gnu.org

And then submit the request to create a new project, then put gnatsweb
under CVS and add us (savannah-hackers) as developers so we can help
directly with the code.

But, BEFORE doing that, we have to clarify the legal status of
gnatsweb, and ask RMS about this.

I think I read in another mail, that gnatsweb didn't have a license or
something like that.

Who has the copyright?

Greetings,
- --