Re: [Jeff Bailey <address@hidden>] Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.o

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: [Jeff Bailey <address@hidden>] Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of GNU and FSF Organizational Files
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:01:04 -0800

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:47:40AM -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> Jeff Bailey <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Concur - But I don't have a good alternative that means "All GNU users".
> > Since we have tended in the past to be quite free with giving away
> > accounts, I didn't see this as tragically different that making it
> > available to anonymous. =)
>
> The stuff in /gd/gnuorg should *not* be accessible via anonymous CVS.
> Perhaps it'd just be better if we made a "gnuorg" project separately?

I think we're not communicating clearly.

I don't want gnudocs available through anonymous.  I know of no way of
making it available to the whole GNU community without doing so.  I'll
cheerfully implement a solution for gnudocs.

> What is in gnudocs now sounds like it might be generally useful, unlike
> stuff in gnuorg, which is not useful to anyone who isn't actively working
> for the GNU project.  So, it seems that another project is order.

It's not.  It's mostly stuff that should go in gnuorg, but I didn't hate
putting things there.

> Also, it's *imperative* that /gd/gnuorg be updated-on-commit just like
> gnudist:/var/www is.  Also, making it very hard to edit things in /gd/gnuorg
> anymore would be a Good Thing (TM) too.

Np.

> Finally, please make sure when /gd/gnuorg gets imported that we properly
> save state from those files that are already under RCS there.

Np.

> BTW, in regard to your much earlier query about putting gnuorg in CVS: I
> personally agreed with you, and have wanted to do it for a while.  There was
> some resistance, but I have done some campaigning and that resistance is
> gone.  In the end, RMS said to me and Mark: "Well, everyone who updates
> /gd/gnuorg will just have to learn CVS".  That, to me, says we can go for
> it.  ;)

I have trouble imagining that anyone who cares about programming will
object strongly to learning a revision control tool.

I will implement this as soon as I see a good solution for the anoncvs
problem.  Part of the problem is that it used to be possible for an
average GNU user to do everything they needed:  Create mailing lists, manage
Gnats, CVS, gnuorg.  We've taken away these abilities without having a
stated change in our security policy.

--
My UUism extends beyond national boundaries.