[Savannah-hackers] Re: about savannah-hackers

From: Masayuki Hatta
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: about savannah-hackers
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 10:09:48 +0900

Hi there,

>>>>> In <address@hidden>
>>>>>   Loic Dachary <address@hidden> wrote:
Loic>  i18n of Savannah is a *lot* of work. It's based on 2.0 and there is
Loic> no templates. Code and HTML mixed together. I fear that i18n of Savannah
Loic> is something nobody would want to do before a complete rewrite. Upgrading
Loic> to 2.5 is also out of question since the sourceforge code is *not* meant
Loic> to be upgraded in any way.

Hmm...so why don't you use SourceForge 2.5 (or later, possibly CVS
snapshot)?  I really don't get it why you say "Upgrading to 2.5 is
also out of question".  Is just replacing it with newer version (with
your modifications for Savannah) not enough?  Anywise SF 2.5 has (at
least a kind of) I18N stuff and even seems to have the theme faculty
which possibly we can use for Savannah.  I think if you even think
about "a complete rewrite" of Savannah, it would be much easier to
adapt achievements from the SourceForge crew.  I guess they got more
resources(I mean users, developers, money, etc.) than us so why don't
we make use of 'em! ;-) If 2.5 is not stable enough, we should help
them to debug it, don't we?  Or do you want to make the Savannah code
fork from the original?  If so I strongly object to it since in most
cases forking is just a waste of man power (Eg. Emacs/XEmacs whirl).

Best regards,
MH

--
Masayuki Hatta