savannah-dev

[Savannah-dev] subversions.gnu.org migration over the new Savannah versi

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-dev] subversions.gnu.org migration over the new Savannah version
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:51:14 +0100

Hi,

After several days of doing nothing but checking the current branch
with the migrated Savannah database, without noticing migration
problem, I'm seriously considering to migrate Savannah on Wednesday or
Thursday.

The next week, I'll no longer be at CERN and I will not be paid the
whole day to work on Savannah. I'll have to work on my main activity
and will not be able to chase around a whole for bugfixes for two full
days.

So it is way better to do that migration before, since everything
seems to be working perfectly.

I suppose that bugs remains in the PHP Interface but it won't be
critical since I'll have to fix them.

I carefully checked and rechecked the migration process, which work
well for the GNU database and the CERN database.

So now is probably the good moment to move on. I recognize that the
news item should have been posted before but it will clearly not
possible for me to take care of that migration in December as I can do
now (no full time on Savannah in December!).

1) Post a news item announcing that Savannah will be down (please
   feel free to correct spelling/phrasing mistakes), today, in 2
   hours.

   "Moving to the new Savannah version.

   Tomorrow, Wed Nov 26 at 09:00:00 UTC 2003, the GNU Savannah
   installation at savannah.[non]gnu.org will be updated to the current
   development version of the GNU Savannah program.

   We expect the update to take only a few hours and the service will
   be back online as soon as possible.

   This update includes database heavy changes. This has been tested
   and proved to work on several tests machines, with different
   databases including the savannah.[non]gnu.org one.
   However, if you notice inconsistencies after the update, please
   tell us as soon as possible at address@hidden

   If you notice bugs in the interface after the update, we encourage
   you to submit bugs report as soon as possible via the Savannah
   project bug tracker http://sv.gnu.org/bugs/?group=savannah

   After the migration, a news explaining the majors changes in the
   user interface will be posted.

   The GNU Savannah software first release will come soon, after that
   migration."

*) Make the migration :
        - make a copy of the original database (sourceforge), run the
          migration script on that copy, check the new database
        - restrict access to savannah (probably put a specific html
                webpage 404 pointing on that page, with access
                restriction based on IP)
        - update the savannah copy
        - update the savannah conffiles with the new backend script
        - configure the group types + group with very specific things, see
                the list at the bottom
        - update site specific content
        - remove old backend scripts, the old cronfile, install the
          new backend

*) Test :
        - if everything is going well, open to public
        - if there are big troubles that cannot be fixed within a hour,
          roll back to the original database with the trunk cvs code

Considering that everything worked,

*) Get back public access

*) Merge the trunk and the branch (before, making a backup of the
 directory), two days later, if everything still go well.

the directories of homepage/sourcecode/whatever of this groups
must be updated by hand

     1  gnujobs <-> jobs
     2  gnue <-> projects
     3  greve <-> people
     4  bravegw <-> brave-gnu-world
     5  dotgnu <-> projects
     6  javaweb <-> java
     7  fsffr <-> wwwfr
     8  fsfpress <-> press
     9  gnu-search <-> search
    10  dgdp <-> projects
    11  intro-book <-> doc
    12  edu <-> education
    13  dotgnu-see <-> projects
    14  gvc <-> volunteers
    15  global-orgs <-> orgs
    16  wwwhurd <-> hurd
    17  trans-coord <-> server
    18  japanesegnui <-> japan
    19  gnu20th <-> events
    20  topas <-> popa
    21  slackit <-> salckit
    22  webpublish <-> padrewp
    23  dreadrock <-> bonustrack

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |