savannah-dev

Re: [Savannah-dev] CodeX Bug tracking up and running on Savannah

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] CodeX Bug tracking up and running on Savannah
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:38:01 +0200

Laurent Julliard writes:
 > Hi there!

        That's a real relief to see the bug tracking problem solved.
We've all been longing for *you* since the very begining :-) One would
certainly claim that the bug tracking system already existed in the
SF-2.0 code base. But the problem was not to activate the code
itself. It was to find someone with enough energy and long term
commitment to maintain and upgrade and evolve the underlying codebase,
which VA Software was clearly not ready to do. We (savannah-hackers)
deal with day to day administration of Savannah but growing the code
in the way you did is beyond our possibilities.

        At the end of last year I thought I would find enough energy
and time to completly rewrite the system on the basis of phpGroupWare.
But I failed to complete this task. Now that you've started to contribute
significant enhancements to Savannah, my failure is less of a burden to
the Free Software community and I'll be eternally gratefull for this :-)

        While I'm at it, I'd also like to express how proud I am to
build and maintain Savannah with Mathieu Roy who joined us at the
beginning of the year, boosted the level of service a great deal by
answering all support requests since this date, offered us the theme
selection today and countless fixes; Jaime Villate who provides a
daily effort on Savannah since day one; Guillaume Morin who managed to
provide us with his incredibly efficient bursts of productivity on a
regular basis during the past year; Jeff Bailey for setting up
subversions.gnu.org originally; Joel N. Weber, Mark H. Weaver and Paul
Visher for hardware and colloc maintainance; Bradley M. Kuhn and RMS
for endless advices and forgiveness; and the GNU volunteers at
large. The beauty of this truly cooperative project is that everyone
did it by their own will and strong belief in the Free Software
ideals. Human nature may not be rotten after all ;-)

 > Et voilĂ ... the new bug tracking of Savannah is in place and as far as I
 > can see it works ok. I have just made a couple of test though and you
 > should have received the first Savannah bug (bug #7) email notification.

        Got it, yes.

        Excellent. I'm truly impressed by how smoothly you did the change.

 > I have configured the bug tracking system with what I think
 > arereasonable settings but feel free to go in the Bugs -> Admin section,
 > browse around and tell me what you think.

        I played with it a bit and it works like a charm.

 > The CodeX BTS has been in use at Xerox for more than 6 months and I'm
 > fairly confident that it will work. However, before we make the
 > announcement to the Savannah community, it would really be great if we
 > could use it a bit more.
 >
 > There is online help in most places but there is also a user guide at
 > http://www.moldus.org/~laurent/CodeX/CUG_BTS.ps.gz if you prefer.

        The exact kind of documentation we've dreamt of since years.

 > Again play with it and if you know of other projects on Savannah that
 > are badly missing a bug tracker then may be you can forward them this
 > message and tell them to beta-test the bug tracker (they must activate
 > the service first in Project Admin -> Edit Public Info)

        I can't think of any right now although we could dig the list and
I'm sure we will find one. I'll use it to move bug reports from the task
list and/or support list of Savannah.

        Thanks,